Sunday, January 12, 2014

Let's Begin/The Golden Globes

As the name of this blog states, the Oscars are my Super Bowl. I've come to use this term when describing my love of movies and the Academy Awards to non-movie people. I couldn't care less about the actual Super Bowl (which I'm told involves a sport with a ball), but to me the Oscars are the best night of the year. My love began as a little girl and has only grown over the past 25 years. I love the glitz and glamour, the acceptance speeches, the montages, and pretty much every single moment (Unless Seth MacFarlane is singing about boobs. Uhg.). I am one of a very small minority that wants the ceremony to keep going. I would be fine if the ceremony lasted 6 hours, but I don't think the people actually at the ceremony would agree.

What began when I was a child as a love of the Academy Awards and a curiosity about the movies highlighted there, has grown into a true passion for movies as an adult. I will watch pretty much anything except for horror. (I really don't like to be scared) I find all aspects of the movie making process fascinating; from acting to costuming to cinematography. When I go see a movie in theatres I always stay through the end of the credits because I think that even the best boys and gaffers deserve to have their names seen on the big screen by more than someone cleaning up the trash. Essentially, I am obsessed with all things having to do with the magic of movie making.

I felt that with today being the Golden Globes and the official kick off to Awards Season (my favorite season), that it would be a good day to kick off my blog as well. The Golden Globes are a fun spectacle. I don't put a lot of weight in their choices as any sort of prediction for the Oscars, but I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing Tina Fey and Amy Poehler host tonight. I'm also a sucker for awards shows so I'm interested to see how tonight unfolds and excited to see the red carpet fashions.

Of the best picture nominees for tonight I've only seen one so far--American Hustle--but that will be changing in the next few weeks. I thought it was a great movie with great performances. Amy Adams was amazing and I think the stand out in an outstanding cast. Jennifer Lawrence seems to be getting more buzz for her performance, but I think she proved she can play crazy for David O.Russell in last year's Silver Linings Playbook. Adams' was the more nuanced performance this year. Christian Bale continues to astound in the way he disappears into a character. It was hard to believe the same man was Batman a year and a half ago. My one complaint would be Russell's choice to have the camera move around so much. I get motion sick very easily and it's always a disappointment to have to miss parts of a good movie because the camera is moving so much that I start to feel ill. (One of the biggest reasons Argo was not the best picture to me last year.)

Red Carpet coverage starts in a little over an hour and a half and I need to get back to real life until then so, let's see how the Golden Globes go tonight. I'm rooting for Amy Adams.

Until next time,
MGG

No comments:

Post a Comment