Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Golden Globes Wrap-Up

Well, as I predicted, the Golden Globes was a fun spectacle. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler did a fantastic job hosting. I really wish they would host the Oscars, but I read and interview with them recently in Entertainment Weekly and both said they're not interested. Hopefully, some day they'll change their minds. I'll keep my fingers crossed. My two favorite jokes of the night were about George Clooney choosing to float away in space rather than stay with a woman his own age and about giving a warm welcome just like a model's vagina to Leonardo DiCaprio. Comedy gold. And they got some of the biggest laughs from the audience.

Some of my favorite themes of the evening included:

  • Taking a very long time to walk to the stage--The most meandering being Jacqueline Bisset, who even stopped to kiss Jon Voight. At least Robin Wright had the decency to try and run up to the stage. (All I could think then was "Run Jenny Run" a la Forrest Gump.) 
  • Cursing in speeches--Again, Jacqueline Bisset with the win on this one. The censors sort of messed up and the we all heard Bisset say "shit" on national television. Plus, she gave one of the most whack-a-doo acceptance speeches I've ever seen at an awards show. I wish the censors had continued to fail at their jobs though, so we could have heard more of Elizabeth Moss' speech.
  • Public/Private moments on stage--The best was Seth Meyers' reaction to Andy Samberg winning the Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical for TV. Meyers looked so freaking excited for his friend. My other favorite was the Best Original Score winner (Alex Ebert from Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros) telling P. Diddy that they'd met before on a yacht.
  • SNL alum winning--What can I say? I just adore Amy Poehler and Andy Samberg.
As far as an analysis of the winners in the movie categories goes; like I said in my previous post, I don't think the Globes have a lot of weight when it comes to the Oscars. However, I was very happy to see Amy Adams get some love for American Hustle. As I've said before, I thought she was brilliant in that movie. It will be interesting to see if she gets an Oscar nod on Thursday morning. I really hope so. I haven't seen any of the other movies that had major movie category wins, but I'm looking forward to seeing Wolf of Wall Street, Blue Jasmine, and Dallas Buyer's Club for the performances. If Matthew McConaughey's performance in Dallas Buyer's Club is half as good as his impression of himself last night then, "Alright, Alright, Alright", I'm sold.

I'd love to keep going but it's getting late and I'm turning into a pumpkin. I'll be back Thursday for the Oscar nominations (!!!) and the Critic's Choice Awards that night.

Until then,
MGG

No comments:

Post a Comment